Just a quick post to say 'Hi' and let you in on what's new. I started a new college class last night on the book of Romans. I'm not taking this class for credit as I am already working on my Doctorate through another college; but since this was offered at my home church (via Tyndale Theological Seminary - good, solid school; I highly recommend it, check it out) and I'm doing Romans for my Doctorate degree (which is via Internet) at this time, I thought it would help me to sit in a classroom with a live professor to whom I can ask questions (a disadvantage to doing college online, but I'm grateful for online schooling, it definitely works with my schedule).
Anyway, the class last night was so interesting and I thought I would share with you some of the things that we learned that a lot of people may not know. Here goes:
Did you know that the gospel or the 'good news' has not always been the same message throughout the dispensations of time? The 'good news' of the coming Messiah, in the OT, was definitely different than the gospel message we hear today. And the time period that Christ was on earth the message was different from both OT and NT (NT meaning the church age or the dispensation of grace). OT message was the law and the prophets which pointed to the coming Messiah, who would solve their 'sin problem' and usher in the Kingdom upon their acceptance of the Christ (however, as you know, they rejected their Messiah and the legitimate offer of the Messianic Kingdom; so the offer was withdrawn and will be made again at a future date).
While Jesus was on earth the Kingdom offer was made available to the Jewish nation. It was a genuine offer, but was not accepted. The Jews did not want a king that was a suffering servant, but they wanted a conquering King. And so the 'good news' or gospel message was different from OT and NT in that it was the message of the 'Kingdom of God.' Jesus said in Luke 16:16, "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it."
Since the time of Christ's death, which purchased our salvation, the 'good news' is the message of grace for all men.
Here are the notes from the class about this topic:
It's important that we don't confuse the uses of the word 'gospel' in the Scriptures.
Dr. C. I. Scofield identifies 4 different messages of good news:
1) The Gospel of the Kingdom - This is the good news that God purposes to set up on the earth, in the fulfillment of the Davidic Covenant (2 Samuel 7), a kingdom, political, spiritual, Israelitish, universal, over which God's son, David's heir, shall be King, and which shall be, for one thousand years, the manifestation of the righteousness of God in human affairs... (there are two preaching of this gospel - one past, one future).
a) Beginning with John the Baptist, continued by our Lord and His disciples and ending with
the Jewish rejection of the King.
b) During the great tribulation and immediately preceding the Lord's return (Matt. 24:14).
2) The Gospel of the grace of God - This is the good news that Jesus Christ, the rejected King, has died on the cross for the sins of the world, that He was raised from the dead for our justification, and that by Him all that believe are justified from all things (this is the gospel of God described in Romans 1:1).
3) The everlasting Gospel - (Rev. 14:6) This is the good news to be preached to the earth-dwellers at the very end of the great tribulation and immediately preceding the judgement of the nations (Matt. 25). It is neither the gospel of the Kingdom, nor of grace. Though its burden is judgement, not salvation, it is good news to Israel and to those who, during the tribulation, have been saved.
4) That which Paul calls 'My Gospel' - (Romans 2:16) This is the good news of the grace of God in its fullest development, but includes the revelation of the result of that Gospel in the out-calling of the church, her relationships, position, privileges, and responsibility. It is the distinctive truth of Ephesians and Colossians, but inter-permeates all of Paul's writings.
Whew!!! That's a lot to wrap your mind around. I pray that you will consider this and pray for all truth. Pray for all truth in all things. You will be abundantly, spiritually blessed for it!!!
Be blessed today sweeties,
Your Kingdom Seeking' Mama,
No comments:
Post a Comment